Sunday, August 1, 2010

I started a new road trip today. Today I arrived in Mammoth for four or five days of hiking. Why Mammoth, especially after being in the Rockies for the almost three weeks? I came to Mammoth because I intend to take advantage of the new me by hiking some trails I haven't been able to for almost twenty years or never. Also, Mammoth is my first love. I have been coming up here 35 years and I have so, so, many fond memories of this place...however...my last two trips here were aborted due to my back problems. In fact, last year I left in tears only after being here for 36 hours because my back was killing me and I broke down in tears because I couldn't help wondering if I would ever be able to hike the surrounding mountains in this incredibly beautiful place again...But...here I am, better than ever.

While here I hope to go on at least three long hikes. Tomorrow I am heading up to Virginia Lakes where I will be hiking over Burro Pass. This is supposed to be one of the more beautiful passes on the east side and should provide spectacular views of the Matterhorn and surrounding peaks. I'm taking my camera and hope to bring back some good photos. Later in the week, if my body holds up I will be hiking up Bishop Pass and Mammoth Crest. I am excited because I haven't hiked some of these trail for 30 years!

No comments:

Blog Archive