Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The last time I hiked up and over Bishop Pass was in 1976. I remember the trip quite well because I had to carry my cousins pack the last mile to the lake because he couldn’t go any further. I never dreamed I wouldn’t go back to this wonderful place for 34 years…but…getting married, working, raising a family and ongoing back problems prevented me from making this hike…and…after the last couple of years with my back problems I never imagined I would ever be up here again. But, I made it.

The day started off quite cool. According to my car thermometer is was 44 degrees outside when I hit the trail at 8:30. The trail leading from the parking lot of South Lake is very steep for the first couple of miles but I flew up the trail at light speed. After three weeks out in the wilderness hiking mountain peaks and passes I guess my body has finally adjusted to any challenge the mountains have to offer.

The first couple of miles of the hike are nothing to write home about as you hike through the forest but once you reach the first lake, Long Lake, everything opens up and high mountain peaks come into view. The last couple of miles to the pass are spectacular as you pass one lake after another. I can’t remember all the names of the lakes but there was about three or four of them I passed on my way to the pass.

Reaching the pass ended up being a bit of a disappointment “initially” because I assumed there would be numerous people waiting on top to congratulate me on my great accomplishment. But, there was not a single sole in sight when I arrived at the top. Since I was full of energy when I reached the top I decided to hike further down the trail to get a better view of the surrounding mountain ranges that encompass the Bishop Pass area. I don’t think I have ever been to a place where there are so many high peaks. I didn’t count them but I estimate there must have been at least a dozen peaks over 12,000 feet which you could see from the pass. None of the pictures I took really do justice to how grandeur this area is. You are surrounded by peaks on all sides. It truly is an amazing place where all you can do is stand in awe of God’s incredible creation.

Once I reached my final destination I just sat down and reflected on what I had just accomplished and the beauty of it all while I ate my power granola bar. Even now, this all seems like a dream…because….as I have chronicled elsewhere one year ago I was reduced to walking with a cane and could go no further than halfway around the block. I never, ever, ever, imagined I could do what I have done not only today but what I have done hiking over one mountain pass after another from California to Colorado.

As I conclude what may be my last blog entry for awhile since I am going home tomorrow and starting work on Monday I can only express gratitude for being able to go and see all the incredible places I have this summer. I have been to 11 national parks and who knows how many other wilderness areas. I don’t know if I will ever be able to do what I have done this summer again but even if I don’t I am forever grateful for this once in a lifetime adventure this summer. At the beginning of the trip I was a bit anxious regarding my back situation but my back has held up fine and all the hard work I have done over the past six months has paid off. Well, I don’t really have anything more to add but to end this with nothing but praise to God for providing me with this opportunity to see some of the most beautiful sights in the world and for my health which I never take for granted.

No comments:

Blog Archive