Sunday, July 18, 2010

I left the Aspen area bright and early this morning and headed to my next and probably last destination, Estes Park. Estes Park is the "eastern gateway" to Rocky Mountain National Park. While Estes Park is a bit on the touristy side the road through Rocky National Park to the town is kind simply spectacular. I don't know how many times I stopped to get out and take pictures, maybe as many as a dozen.

What makes the road through the park so spectacular is the elevation. The road winds itself up over 12,000 feet, yes, 12,000 feet!...which...I believe is the highest road in the U.S. You travel through forests and meadows and as you gain elevation large peaks began to appear on all sides. Many of the peaks still have snowfields. When you reach about 11,000 feet you are now above the treeline. They call this region alpine. At this time of the year the alpine zone is often in full spring mode. The grass is green and the wildflowers are blooming. It is spectacular. As I believe I have noted on more than one occasion now the alpine zone is my favorite. The air is clean, there is often a cool breeze, and you are in open space where you can see for miles and miles and miles. It's my idea of what I hope heaven looks like.

I am going to hang out in Estes Park for a couple of days before I head home. Tomorrow I am not sure which hike I am going to go on. There are so many to choose from. I'll probably tackle something challenging tomorrow. A peak or a pass, somewhere where I can get up real high so I can see the mighty Rockies in their full splendor.

No comments:

Blog Archive